The Internet is a big place. If you are a small business owner, it is crucial for you to invest in some digital marketing techniques in order to stand out against your competitors on the web. One of the most important digital marketing trends that can boost your visibility is SEO. Search engine optimization is a growing technique in digital marketing, and companies are expected to spend about 75% of their marketing budgets in the digital sector within the next five years. SEO can seem confusing to beginners, so here we have broken down some of the basics for you.
What is search engine optimization?
If you have ever searched for something online, then you probably know more about search engine marketing than you think. In simple terms, this form of marketing relies on keyword usage and content marketing to boost your rankings within a search engine. The goal is to optimize your webpage with specific keywords that your customers are searching for, and to have your site show up within the first page of those search results.
For example, if you are a HVAC installer in Charleston, you may want to include the words “HVAC installation,” “HVAC repair,” “HVAC services Charleston,” or”AC technician South Carolina.” This is because when the potential customers are searching for any type of HVAC service, they most likely will use these keywords in their searches.
What factors affect a search?
A lot is going on within Google when a customer types a phrase into their search bar. This includes:
1. The question. The first thing they are trying to do is to understand what you are looking for.
2. Your location. It is important for Google to know your location, so they can connect users in your area to your webpage.
3. How many other sites have links that point to your site. The more backlinks the website has acquired, the higher Google perceives the quality of your content to be. You can think of these links like votes for your quality.
So at the end of the day what does SEO do?
Once you have understood what factors affect a search, it is important to realize that SEO companies acquire their results in many different ways. Some common practices include:
1. Optimizing the site, making it easier for Google to find.
2. Researching and optimizing keywords, to determine which are the ones most likely to drive traffic to your site.
3. Creating content to build links. Blog posts are great content that will attract users to your site and make it memorable.
Stay tuned for our part 2 in this series to learn all you can about search engine optimization!