The term Work Smarter Not Harder is a term that can be applied to almost anything, in this case digital marketing is the smarter and brick and mortar marketing is the harder. Our first step should be to explain what they both are, than we can get into why I say that digital marketing is just the smarter choice. Of course it goes without saying any company that has a large enough marketing budget should still incorporate both.
Digital marketing encompasses everything that happens online from a small logo design to the most in depth PPC campaigns, website development, and mobile apps. Basic anything that happens online is in association to digital marketing. Digital marketing is now the most dominate force in the whole marketing spectrum.
Brick and Mortar Marketing
A good way to explain Brick and Mortar Marketing is your local corner store. Everything from their Sign in front of the store to the shelves fits into brick and mortar marketing. It’s everything physical in the world of marketing and it is slowly becoming obsolete.
Why Digital Marketing Is A Smarter Choice Then Brick And Mortar
- Cost – in comparison Digital Marketing is far cheaper then Brick and Mortar Marketing. For example Most Websites even on the premium end cost about 5,000 dollars. Most physical Location average a minimal 10,000 dollars in cost and that’s just for the first year not counting Stocking shelves and paying for staff to run that location.
- Trust – Having a physical store and staff requires a certain amount of trust that your staff will represent, run, and maintain your store up to your standards. When you run a website you have complete control over what happens in that space and you will never have any question of where your money has went or if your brand is being represented correctly.
- Metrics – Unless you hire someone strictly to ask everyone that comes through the door a set of question to get information on your demographic, you will always be guessing as to what target audience is coming through your door with a physical location. With a Digital marketing everything is measurable and comes with metrics and valuable insights about who visits your site and what their interest are.
- Advertising – (Brick and Mortar) and Digital advertising are relatively similar in pricing but there is a dramatic difference in performance. Once again it goes back to Metrics. Most physical forms of advertising have no measurable data and the data it does have is educated guessing at best. Let’s take a billboard for example yes you can measure the traffic that will pass it in a month but you can’t measure how many of those people in each car actually read your billboard advertisement. Where if we took a Google Adwords advertisement for example you can actually narrow the field of audience you target by location, age, interest and in most cases even in more depth. You can also measure the whole campaigns performance with in depth detail and make more educated decision with your marketing efforts.
- Automation – There is a way to automate your books and some of the processes that happen in Brick and Mortar Marketing if you have a large enough budget for the machine and programs. Digital Marketing on the other hand has many ways and programs that you can actually automate everything. all the way to sending scheduled e-mails that can be scheduled to send years from now or updating your feeds on a daily basis to all your social platforms.
I think that by now you can agree that if you have a limited budget and have to choose whether to go with Digital or Brick and Mortar Marketing your choice will be simple. There is many more examples we could go over but there is no need Digital is clearly the smarter choice for your budget and brands growth. But either way you decide to go I wish you and your company much success and longevity.